12.11.2009

The Details

When I was in college, my room mate (the architect) had a matra - "God lives in the details".  It means, to architects at lease, that if you didn't worry about the small stuff - the big stuff would fail.  Your wedding photos can be the same.  The small things give the day's story texture and fragrance.   Like those those little olfactory hits that remind you of something. Happens to me all the time . . . in a crowd, the smell of something long ago . . . sending my mind time traveling.  Probably why I love taking those detail photographs.  They do the same thing for you.
Sometimes they are things you went to a lot of trouble to create like Catrin & Tim's wonderful books and placards on each table of their reception (above).
Sometimes, it's hor devours.

The kiddush cup waiting for the ceremony.
The night's spent confetti.

One thing I know, these little things bring back memories that you will have long forgotten.  I'm often told that the photographs captured things that the bride & groom never saw.  That's very nice.  But sometimes, these little gems capture the essence of an event, the whole emotional scene, the story in a photograph.

The bride's shoes, signed by all the bridesmaids.  Wow.

No comments: