12.10.2009

My Name is Dan Derby

I'm a wedding photographer for the most part although I regularly sneak down to the studio and take product pictures (can't help myself, I was a product designer for . . . ever).

About me:  
  • I am a designer by training and for a number of years did just that.  
  • With degrees in design from NC State and Stanford University (an MFA),  I was a visiting lecturer at Stanford for nearly a decade.   
  • Over time, I found myself doing more managing than designing so I eventually began the journey back to the arts.  
  • Encouraged by a designer wife, Jane G. Derby - a  professional photographer daughter (NYC), Erin Derby - and cinematography student (SVA), Dan Derby III - it seemed like I was rejoing a family business.  
  • In addition to photography, I write stories on a variety of subjects for a variety of clients.
  • However, my wedding work is one of the purest forms of story. . . and it's fun.

No comments: